Tuesday, July 6, 2010

family traditions

Every summer, for as long as I can remember, my Dad's side of the family has gotten together to spend a week in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It is a family tradition. Oh, the memories we have made over the years! Like annual fishing rodeos, playing Trivial Pursuit and The Newlywed Game, jet skiing, pontooning, awards night, talent show night, trips to Souvenir City, playing goofy golf, Sam the Sand Crab, fishing off the pier, parasailing, swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, staying at the Romar House and crab night! These are just a small sample of the sweet memories I have from all the years staying in Gulf Shores.

This summer is no different! We started our vacation this past Saturday. The majority of our family are staying in beach houses down on the Gulf. What a pleasure it is seeing everyone and spending time with one another. It used to be myself and my cousins as the littles of the family. Now, my cousins and I have grown and some of us have littles of our own! They are the ones carrying on the traditions of fishing off the pier, taking that trip to Souvenir City, and building sand castles. I can't tell you how thankful I am for my ENTIRE family and the precious memories I hold in my heart.

I can't help but picture my brother, Martin, still here with us and thinking about what he would be doing. Wishing he were close by to hear his thoughts on the oil spill, complaining about the weather, making plans to play tennis or see a movie, or planning a water balloon war with our cousins. It is our first summer without him and our hearts ache to have him here. It's just not the same.

I'm off to make plans for the day. The forecast calls for rain, mixed with rain, with a slight chance of more rain! Ugh. What are some of your own family traditions?        

No comments: